While the eggplants do take time in the oven, once they’re in, it only takes a few minutes to add the final touches for a flavour-packed meal.
2 medium eggplants
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
1⁄2 teaspoon cumin seeds
1 clove garlic, crushed
400g tin chickpeas, drained and rinsed
Sea salt and ground pepper
1 cup thick plain yoghurt
2 tablespoons purchased dukkah
2 spring onions, thinly sliced
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C fan bake.
2. Prick each eggplant a few times with the tip of a knife, then place on a baking tray. Roast for 40-45 minutes, or until they are just starting to collapse and are very tender. Leave to cool for 10 minutes.
3. Melt the butter in a frying pan and stir in the spices and garlic. Cook for 2 minutes then add the chickpeas and allow to warm through.
4. Place the eggplants on plates and make a cut down the centre. Season with salt and pepper.
5. To serve, spoon in the yoghurt then top with the chickpeas and spiced butter. Scatter over the dukkah and spring onions.