Origin: United States, pre-prohibition
The original martini was made with gin, but now vodka is equally common. It should always be stirred, not shaken.
60ml London Dry gin or vodka
30ml dry vermouth
Lemon twist or olive
- Combine the ingredients in a mixing glass filled with ice and stir for 25-30 seconds, or until well chilled.
- Strain into a coupe or martini glass.
- Garnish with a lemon twist or olive.
- For a dirty martini, add a splash of olive brine. Garnish with an olive.
- For a very dry martini, use 75ml gin and only 7ml dry vermouth, or omit the vermouth entirely.
- For a perfect martini, use 45ml each gin and dry vermouth.