Wendyl Nissen shares her go-to chocolate mousse recipe for ultimate special occasions.
We often have friends to stay at this time of year because it’s my husband Paul’s birthday. This is a great chocolate mousse for special occasion dinners. It’s Paul’s recipe, and it’s really, really rich, so we serve it in vintage egg cups. Most people have two!
200g dark chocolate
1⁄4 cup brown sugar
4 egg yolks
1 tablespoon Grand Marnier
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 teaspoons grated orange rind
60g unsalted butter
1. Heat cream until bubbles form around edges. Do not boil.
2. Place chopped chocolate, sugar, egg yolks, Grand Marnier, vanilla and rind in a blender.
3. Pour in hot cream while blending on high speed for about a minute.
4. Drop butter in one teaspoon at a time while you blend. Continue to blend until smooth.
5. Pour into egg cups or tiny jars. Refrigerate for 1 to 2 hours before serving.