Ain’t no party like a pizza party! Nici Wickes shares her tried and tested recipe for the best ever pizza base.
Makes 3 large or 5 medium-sized thin-crust bases
1 cup warm water
1 teaspoon sugar
2 teaspoons instant yeast granules
2 tablespoons olive oil
3 cups high-grade flour
1 teaspoon salt
- In the bowl of a mixer – or a large bowl if kneading by hand – add warm water and sugar and stir to dissolve the sugar.
- Sprinkle over yeast and let sit for 5-7 minutes, until very frothy.
- Add the olive oil, flour and salt and knead on low speed with the dough-hook attachment until it comes together.
- Increase speed to medium and knead for about five minutes or until you have a smooth, elastic dough. If doing by hand, mix initially with a butter knife, then turn out onto a lightly floured bench and knead with a light hand until dough is smooth and elastic, about 10 minutes, adding flour if it becomes sticky.
- Place dough into an oiled bowl, cover with a damp tea towel and leave in a warm place until doubled in size, about 1.5 hours.
- Gently turn out dough and divide into 3-5 pieces.
- Shape each into a ball, dust with flour and rest for about 20 minutes, until ready to make pizza.
- Roll out into desired shape and place on lightly oiled pizza tins or baking trays.
- Add toppings of your choice and always bake at a very high heat (240-250°C), for 10-12 minutes.