Salmon always makes for an impressive dish to serve guests. Here’s a little trick: instead of serving a baked side of salmon, gently warm a piece of quality hot smoked salmon and it’s as though you’ve just pulled it out of the smoker yourself! Serve it with a kicky little citrus and fennel salad to lighten the richness and there you have it – a spectacular and impressive centrepiece for your spring table, guaranteed to be absolutely scrumptious.
- 600-800g hot smoked salmon
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 3 tablespoons lime or lemon juice
- Small squeeze of orange juice
- Pinch of sea salt
- 3 tablespoons quality olive oil
- 3 tablespoons verjuice or red wine vinegar
- Dash of pepper
- 1-2 fennel bulbs, shaved thinly
- 2 oranges, peel and pitch removed, sliced thinly
- Preheat oven to 160°C. Line a tray with baking paper. Place the salmon on the lined tray.
- Mix maple syrup and citrus juices and brush liberally over salmon. Sprinkle with salt and bake for 30 minutes or until just warmed through.
- Carefully transfer salmon to a serving plate/platter.
- In a bowl, whisk olive oil and vinegar with pepper and then toss the freshly shaved fennel with orange slices.
- When ready to serve, top warmed salmon with the salad and some fennel fronds.