Nici Wickes' fish burger with pickled cucumber and homemade tartare
It doesn’t get any better than fresh fish encased in crispy batter, sandwiched between soft white buns with loads of freshly pickled cucumber and homemade tartare sauce.
Vegetable oil for shallow frying
1⁄2 cup plain flour, plus extra for dusting
2 tablespoons rice flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
300ml pale ale
2 fillets fish (gurnard, terakihi, snapper or other white fish)
1⁄4 cup mayonnaise
1-2 gherkins, finely diced
2 tablespoons fresh dill
1 tablespoon capers
2 baps, halved and toasted
Thinly shredded cabbage, dressed with lemon juice and olive oil to serve
1. Preheat oil in a small saucepan to medium.
2. For batter, combine flours, baking powder and salt in a large bowl, then gradually whisk in enough of the pale ale for a smooth batter the consistency of a pancake batter.
3. Dust fish lightly in extra flour, shake off excess, then coat in batter, letting the excess run off. Fry fish in hot oil in batches, turning occasionally, until golden and cooked through (4-5 minutes). Be careful: hot oil will spit. Drain on paper towels, sprinkle with salt and keep warm.
4. For tartare sauce, combine ingredients in a bowl and season to taste.
5. Serve fish in buns with pickled cucumber and tartare sauce.
1⁄2 cup vinegar
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon mustard seeds
1 cucumber, thinly sliced
Heat vinegar, sugar, salt and mustard seeds in a small pot until simmering. Pour over sliced cucumber and let settle for at least 30 minutes before ready to serve.
Pickle the cucumber and make the tartare sauce ahead of time
More burger recipes
Find more of Nici's recipes for other delicious burger creations: