Chicken and pineapple burger with smoky chipotle mayo
Crunchy fried chicken teams up with smoky chipotle mayo and sweet juicy pineapple.
4 free-range chicken thighs, skinned & boned
1⁄3 cup plain yoghurt
1⁄2 cup plain flour
1⁄4 cup rice flour
1 teaspoon salt
1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper
Oil for shallow frying
4 burger buns or soft rolls
1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
2 tablespoons chipotle sauce (I use La Morena)
1⁄4 fresh pineapple
1⁄4 teaspoon chilli flakes
2 cups finely shredded cabbage
Limes wedges to serve
1. Heat oven to 200°C. Line a tray with baking paper.
2. Use a rolling pin and bash chicken thighs to thin them out a bit. Place in a shallow dish and cover with yoghurt. Leave for 30 minutes or more to marinate.
3. Mix flours and seasoning. Drain yoghurt from chicken and dredge through the seasoned flour.
4. Heat 2cm of oil in pan and heat to medium-hot. Fry floured chicken until golden brown on both sides then place on lined tray and bake for 20 minutes while you prepare remaining burger ingredients. Wipe pan clean.
5. Butter buns and place cut side down to grill. Get quite a bit of colour on them as colour means flavour. Mix mayonnaise with chipotle. Slice pineapple super thin and sprinkle with chilli flakes. Scrunch shredded cabbage with hands to soften.
6. Serve warmed buns topped with slaw, chicken, mayo and pineapple.
Try sides of corn chips, potato chips, corn cobs or extra slaw.